Check out our new cemetery presentation!
Our new PowerPoint show offers a top-level view of the cemetery, the challenges we face, and ideas/steps for meeting those challenges. Board of Trustees President John Hoeschele will be happy to give this presentation at Cortland-area group gatherings (clubs, community groups, churches, etc.) To schedule a time/date, email him at [email protected]
Help keep our non-proft cemetery beautiful!
Why we're in rough shape -- and what you can do to help!
We know our beautiful cemetery is not in the best shape, but the reasons for this are many and complicated. If you are frustrated, as we are, pitch in to help! (To learn more, click here.)
We would like to offer a special thank you to the Cortland Community Foundation for this summer's generous and much-needed grant of $8000 toward cemetery road repairs! To learn more about this important Foundation, click the logo below.
4th Annual Cemetery Sweep-out Day -- 2016
Sunday, April 26 -- 8:30-noon
Readying the Cortland Rural Cemetery for Memorial Day and the 2016 growing season is a monumental task! Please help us out this year by joining our staff, Board members, and over a dozen, big-hearted SUNY Cortland student volunteers -- for our second Cemetery Sweep-out Day!
- When: Sunday, April 24: 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. -- rain or shine!
- Where: CRC 110 Tompkins Street
- What: All able-bodied volunteers and organizations are needed to help remove branches and other debris from the cemetery. (No heavy lifting or contact with headstones allowed!) Other outdoor and indoor tasks may be assigned. Refreshments will be on hand.
- For more about our student volunteers: This year's student volunteers come to us (for the second year in a row!) from the super-awesome Big Event program, wherein SUNY Cortland students spread out across the Cortland community -- volunteering their time and energy to community organizations like ours. You can learn more about The Big Event on their Facebook page. When you see a student: Please thank them for participating!
WHAT TO BRING WITH YOU
The CRC has a limited quantity of landscaping supplies -- so please bring with you as many of these items as you can. Even if we don't use every single item -- having them on hand or in your trunk will increase our options!
- Gardening or work gloves
- Rakes (for leaves and/or rock-rakes)
- Shovels (all types)
- Wheel barrows
- Pruning sheers
- Donations of sturdy plastic garbage bags also greatly appreciated!
- Note: (If need be, mark them with tape or some other label to ensure they do not got lost or confused with others during the day!)
OTHER THINGS TO REMEMBER
- This is a rain-or-shine event, so please wear rain gear if need be or protection from the sun if it's a hot, sunny day!
- We'll have light refreshments on hand -- but feel free to bring a portable water bottle with you to stay hydrated.
- We strongly discourage the use of power tools at this event. (If you want to help us with mowing, string-trimming, shrub-trimming, and the like activities at another time -- contact a staff member to discuss the possibility!
- As mentioned above, no heavy lifting will be allowed...especially not fallen headstones!
GOT ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS ON SWEEP-OUT DAY -- OR WANT TO SIGN UP A GROUP? CALL OUR OFFICE AT 756-6022 OR EMAIL US!